|Location||Remote considered, United States of America|
|Date Posted||December 8, 2022|
|Job Level||Director or Senior Director|
|Other Locations||United Kingdom|
Genesis Research is an international healthcare consultancy providing value evidence strategy, generation, synthesis, and communication services to Life Sciences companies. Delivering these services empowered by technology innovations has enabled us to become a trusted partner with our clients across the development and commercialization life cycle.
By combining both traditional and novel analytical approaches with diverse real-world data – including genomic, medical record, claims and patient-reported information – we are able to inform our clients’ internal decision making as well as submissions and presentations to regulators; health technology assessment authorities and payers; the medical community; and patient organizations.
The Director, Research Medical Coding will serve as the central resource for the development and verification of code lists to identify specific patient populations, treatments, and outcomes in real-world data sources. The Director, Research Medical Coding will be embedded in a matrixed work environment and contribute to real-world evidence projects across therapeutic areas, data sources, and clients by providing subject matter expertise in medical coding. They will also establish and maintain a searchable repository for code lists/algorithms to streamline the assessment and application of code lists/algorithms for key variables across research projects.
Location: USA & UK based. Remote will be considered.
What You'll Do
- Lead and grow a research medical coding team to support inhouse and client needs
- Provide scientific and clinically meaningful insights to support research that leverages real-world data (e.g., administrative claims databases and EMR/EHR databases) across therapeutic areas
- Provide subject matter expertise in using medical codes (e.g., ICD, ATC) to identify specific patient populations, treatments, and outcomes in analyses using real-world data
- Build and maintain a searchable inhouse repository for code lists and algorithms to streamline code list development and algorithm selection/application across research projects
- Design code lists for key study variables that appropriately account for clinical care settings, medical billing practices, and real-world dataset structures and contents
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to identify and evaluate the validity of algorithms used to identify specific study variables
- Stay current on industry standards, including changes to key coding systems (e.g., deleted ICD-10 codes)
- Review reputable scientific and clinical literature to knowledgeably advise on the study from a medical coding perspective
- Develop and present training materials and programming for staff on the appropriate use of coding systems for research to enhance our teams capabilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert for internal teams, providing review and input into existing code lists
- Perform quality control checks on prepared medical code lists
- Review project materials and publications to ensure description of applied medical coding is accurate
- Undergraduate degree in clinical area (e.g., nursing, pharmacy) with 7+ years of experience in health care delivery, academic, pharmaceutical, health insurance, or life sciences consulting experience. Graduate degree in nursing, pharmacy, health information management, or public health with 3+ years (Doctoral degree) or 5+ years of experience (Masters degree) preferred.
- Current certification in Medical Coding (e.g., Certified Professional Coder [CPC] from the American Academy of Professional Coders [AAPC])
- Working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology
- Experience supporting healthcare analytics using real-world data sources such as administrative claims databases and EMR/EHR databases (e.g., Merative MarketScan, Optum Clinformatics Data Mart, IQVIA PharMetrics Plus, TriNetX)
- Knowledge of medical coding systems, such as ICD-9/10 diagnosis and procedure codes, CPT, HCPCS, ICD-O-3, SNOMED, LOINC, NDC, ATC, and MedDRA codes. Knowledge of online medical code repositories like OHDSI or equivalent tools also preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., MS PowerPoint, MS Word, Excel, and Access). Knowledge of SQL or related programming languages is also preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional interpersonal skills, including excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and work independently and as a team player
- Ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, including epidemiologists, data scientists, biostatisticians, health services researchers, clinicians, and health economists
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities and ability to successfully lead, manage, and prioritize multiple opportunities of varying complexity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial workplace
- Sense of ownership in your work
- Enthusiasm to learn and motivation to develop oneself and others within Genesis
- Competitive salary
- Performance-related bonus
- Company-matched 401(k) plan
- Medical/dental benefits
- Flexible PTO